RTI Online: How to File RTI Online in India to Central Public Authorities
Under section 6(1) of the RTI Act, 2005, a citizen can submit a request for information to the Public Information Officer (PIO) of the concerned Public Authority. The procedures to submit RTI Application to Central and State Public Authorities are different. These differences are in terms of RTI Application Format, Application Fees, Fees for Information, Mode of Payment of Fees, etc. The Right to Information Rules of concerned Appropriate Governments or Competent Authorities provide these details. This article provides you “How to File RTI Online in India to Central Public Authorities”. To know How to File RTI Online in India to State Public Authorities, you may visit Online RTI Portals for State Government.
How to File RTI in India?
A citizen can file RTI Online as well as Offline. Not all public authorities, however, provide RTI Online filing facility. Only Central Public Authorities and few State Public Authorities provide RTI Online filing facility. If the concerned government doesn’t have RTI Online filing facility, then you must submit RTI Application offline. To know the procedure to file RTI offline to Central Public Authorities, you may visit How to File RTI Offline to Central Public Authorities? You can file RTI offline to State Public Authorities by following procedure at RTI Procedure for State Governments.
How to File RTI Online in India to Central Public Authorities
Now, I will explain you “How to File RTI Online in India to Central Public Authorities” by providing step by step procedures:
1. Go to the RTIOnline Portal of the central government by clicking Online RTI link. After clicking, you will see following screen:
2. You have two options here: either register or proceed without registration. If you want to file RTI Application frequently, I recommend you to register because if you register then your all personal details such as Name, Address, etc. will be saved and you do not need to fill such details again and again when you submit new RTI Request. At the same time, after submitting RTI Request, to check the status of your request you do not need to remember all of your application numbers. You need to remember only your username and password. To register at RTIOnline website, click “Sign Up here” link. After clicking, you will see following screen:
3. Fill all details and click Submit button. After clicking submit, you will see following screen:
4. Your registration process is complete. Now, you need to verify and activate your account. Click on the “Click here to login” button. After clicking, you will see following screen:
5. Enter username, password, and security code, and then click “Login” button. After clicking, you will see following screen:
7. Now, your account is active. You can click on the “Submit Request” tab to file your RTI Application. On clicking “Submit Request” button, you will see “GUIDELINES FOR USE OF RTI ONLINE PORTAL” screen. This screen contains various guidelines for using RTI Online portal.
8. Click on the check box “I have read and understood the above guidelines.” and then click “Submit” button. After clicking, you will see following screen:
9. Now, fill all the fields marked with (*). If you are a registered user, then you need to fill only ‘Public Authority details’, ‘Is the Applicant Below Poverty Line ?, and ‘Text for RTI Request application’.
i) Select “Ministry/Department/Apex body” and “Public Authority” from drop down. If you are unable to find, then use the “search box” to search Public Authority.
ii) Select the appropriate option from drop down under “Is the Applicant Below Poverty Line?”.
iii) Fill the section “Text for RTI Request application” with the details of information you require. Rather than writing the text, you can attach your application in pdf format (only upto 1 MB) under “Supporting document” section. If you are doing so, simply write “RTI Application attached” under this section.
Note: If you choose to fill the “Text for RTI Request application” field, rather than attaching application in pdf format, you shall follow following instructions:
a) Only alphabets A-Z a-z number 0-9 and special characters , . – _ ( ) / @ : & \ % are allowed in “Text for RTI Request application”.
b) The RTI Online Portal will be timed out within short duration, causing you loose all your filled data. Thus, I recommend you to write your text in word file before starting your application process. While filling the form, you should copy and paste the information you require.
iv) If you have filled all the required fields, then “enter security code” and proceed for payment. If you choose the “Below Poverty Line” category, then you simply click “Submit” button to complete your application process. Otherwise, you need to pay the fee by clicking “Make Payment” button. After clicking Make Payment, you will see following screen:
10. Enter your card details, and then click “Pay” button. After clicking, you will see following screen:
11. Click “Proceed with VbV” button. After clicking, you will see following screen:
12. Enter either IPIN or OTP, and then click “Next” button. After clicking, you will see following screen:
13. You have filed your RTI Application successfully. To check whether your application is registered, you may click “Home” link. After clicking, you will see following screen:
14. Under “Requests” section, you can see that there is 1 Registered and 1 Pending request. Thus, your application has been registered successfully. Now, wait for Reply/Information from PIO within specified time limit.
The above mentioned steps show How to File RTI Online in India to central government. You can also file RTI Application online through private company by visiting File RTI Application Online at 10% discount.
You may visit Understand RTI Act, 2005 through Flow Chart to understand complete RTI Act through Flow Chart.